Thursday, December 5, 2013

Elf on the Shelf Accessories

My daughter is 2 years old now, so I figured that she is now old enough that we can have a little fun with the Elf on the Shelf.  She still doesn't completely understand how it works but she has fun finding the elf each morning and showing other people and I had fun dressing our elf up.


To start with, I followed the instructions laid out at Dirty Diaper Laundry to make you elf bendable and grippy.  The instructions are very easy to follow and it maybe took me 30 minutes total to do.

Next because I have a girl elf, and I didn't want to buy a skirt, I decided to make her a skirt.  I made her a circle skirt similar to how I did it for my girls for Halloween.  I cut a piece of white felt 9 inches square so that when it was folded down it was 4.5 inches square.  The cut for the waist I did 1 inch from the center point and then rounded the bottom of the square to get my doughnut.   Measure your elf's waist to determine how long of a piece of elastic you need for the waist and then stretch the elastic to fit the skirt opening and sew it on.  I decorated my skirt with red snowflakes, but you can decorate however you want (super glue is your friend). 

I used braided yarn for the scarf, a friend braided it for another purpose last year and I thought it was perfect for my elf this year.  Lastly I attached a piece of Velcro on the white band of her hat so that I could make changeable bows and head pieces.  Next I will be working on accessories for a boy elf, stay tuned!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment